With 2016 in the history books and wrapping up a great year of comics (check out the Top 10 Comics of 2017 if you haven’t) we now look forward to 2017.
While it’s only the second week of January we can look forward to what comics will be out this year. We’ve compiled a list a of 70 comics, in order of release date, that will likely top the best of charts.
As always the comics below are collections, not single issues. All of the comics can be pre-ordered at the Amazon links below.
1. Kill or Be Killed Vol 1 – 24 Jan: The new crime comic from legendary duo of Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips will kick the year of with the first volume of their new series Kill or be Killed which collects the first four issues. Pre-order on Amazon now.
2. The Goddamned Vol 1 – 24 Jan: From the creators of Scalped comics a comic which tells new biblical stories in a a stark and brutal lights. This first collection looks at Cain as he battles prehistoric monsters and stone-age marauders. Pre-order on Amazon now.
3. Wolverine: Origin – The Complete Collection – 24 Jan: Hugh Jackman’s final Wolverine film called Logan will be out on 3 March 2017 so why not check out the complete Origin story collected in a beautiful hardcover. Pre-order on Amazon now.
4. Last Sons of America – 31 January: An original graphic novel, Last Sons of America is a grounded sci-fi crime story exploring families and childhood in a morally gray future. Pre-order on Amazon now.
5. Snow Blind – 31 January: Not much is known about this crime story but when Warren Ellis describes it as an “An elevated crime story that feels like it should be the best indie movie of the year” you should get excited. Pre-order on Amazon now.
6. Dept. H Vol. 1 – 31 Jan: From New York Times best-selling MIND MGMT creator Matt Kindt comes a new undersea sci-fi mystery. Mia is a special investigator hired to uncover possible sabotage taking place at a deep-sea research station. What she uncovers is a mind-blowing crime scene filled with suspects with terrible secrets, strange deep-sea creatures, and an impending flood! Collects Dep. H #1-6. Pre-order on Amazon now.
7. Joe Hill: The Graphic Novel Collection – 7 Feb: Comic lovers known Joe Hill from his critically acclaimed Locke & Key series. This collection brings his comic one-shots, short stories, and graphic novels from IDW Publishing. The hardcover will include: Kodiak (2010), The Cape (2010), The Cape 1969 (2011) Thumbprint (2013), Wraith (2014) , plus the short stories “Throttle” (2009) from the Road Rage collection and “By the Silver Water of Lake Champlain” (2012) taken from 2016 Bram Stoker Award Winner Shadow Show: All New Stories in Celebration of Ray Bradbury. Pre-order on Amazon now.
8. Civil War II – 14 Feb: The follow up to the best selling and critically acclaimed Civil War mini-series was turned into a hit movie. For Marvel movie fans this comic could provide ideas of where the movie universe could go next. A new Inhuman emerges, with the ability to profile the future, and the ramifications ripple into every corner of the Marvel Universe. Pre-order on Amazon now.
9. Kong of Skull Island – 21 Feb: Kong: Skull Island will be released on 10 March 2017. For Kong fans that want to find out the origin of Kong and the founding of Skull Island this is the comic for them. Pre-order on Amazon now.
10. Moby Dick – 21 Feb: A masterful adaptation of the timeless literary classic, faithfully and beautifully rendered by an award-winning artist. In striking black-and-white illustrations, Chabouté retells the story of the Great American Novel. Captain Ahab strikes out on a voyage, obsessively seeking revenge on the great white whale that took his leg. This hardcover edition collects both of the Vents d’Ouest volumes, printed in English for the first time. Pre-order on Amazon now.
11. Seven to Eternity Vol 1 – 21 Feb: A new sci-fi / fantasy series from Rick Remender and Jerome Opena who worked together on Uncanny X-Foce and Fear Agent. Pre-order on Amazon now.
12. Tales from the Darkside – 21 Feb: Joe Hill’s nerve-shredding re-imagining pitch for Tales from the Darkside never made it to TV. This hardcover collection adapts the episodes written by Hill and illustrated by Locke & Key co-creator Gabriel Rodriguez! Three stories of the macabre and malevolent! One coulda-been, shoulda-been TV epic on paper with pictures that don’t move! Pre-order on Amazon now.
13. Britannia – 28 Feb: Set in 65 A.D. at the height of Nero’s reign, a veteran of Rome’s imperial war machine has been dispatched to the farthest reaches of the colonies to investigate unnatural happenings… In the remote outpost of Britannia, Antonius Axia – the First Detective – will become Rome’s only hope to reassert control over the empire’s most barbaric frontier…and keep the monsters that bridge the line between myth and mystery at bay. A new psychological story by Peter Milligan. Pre-order on Amazon now.
14. Velvet Deluxe Hardcover – 28 Feb: From the creators of Captain America The Winter Soldier comes Velvet, a slick and sexy new take on the Cold War spy genre. What if the secretary to the man running the world’s most top secret spy agency was actually their most dangerous weapon, once upon a time? Now Velvet Templeton’s first major storyline is collected in one oversized deluxe hardback with behind-the-scenes extras and articles. Pre-order on Amazon now.
15. Animosity Vol 1 – 1 March: One day, for no reason, the Animals woke up. They started thinking. They started talking. They started taking revenge. A unique high concept that executes the landing. This first volume collects the first four issues of the best-selling series, plus the special one-shot issue Animosity: The Rise. Pre-order on Amazon now.
16. Daredevil by Mark Waid Omnibus Vol. 1 – 12 March: Mark Waid delivered an Eisner Award-winning DAREDEVIL run like no other! Joined by artists Chris Samnee, Marcos Martin and Paolo Rivera this hardcover omnibus is a must have for any Daredevil or Marvel fans. Pre-order on Amazon now.
17. The Damned Vol. 1 – 21 March: The Damned is hard-boiled noir with demons, and the team behind The Sixth Gun is bringing it back with new colors, a new format, and a new ongoing tale of tommy guns and hellfire. Pre-order on Amazon now.
18. Control – 21 March: A political crime thriller from Andy Diggle, Angela Cruickshank, and Andrea Mutti. For fans of 24 and House of Cards. Pre-order on Amazon now.
19. How to Win at Life by Cheating at Everything – 28 March: A lot of how-to books assume that the reader is a good and wholesome person who wants to follow the law and not rip other people off. This is FOOLISH! Let John D’Hough (not his real name) tell you all about the glorious world of grift, the science of scam, and the craft of criminality as he explains how he was able to fleece the entire town of Honest, Indiana. A bitingly comedic satire, this debut novel from Hollywood screenwriter Mark Perez pulls no punches, and everybody gets his fair share. Pre-order on Amazon now.
20. The Flintstones Vol. 1 – 28 March: Fred and Barney reunite for Mark Russell’s modern take on Hanna-Barbera’s most famous stone-age family! This new series starring the first family of Bedrock tells the story of who we are and why we do what we do as if it all began with Fred, Wilma, Barney, Betty, and the rest of the citizens of Bedrock. Shining a light on humanity’s ancient customs and institutions in a funny origin story of human civilization, Mark Russell (PREZ) blends modern interpretations with Hanna-Barbera’s classic character’s, bringing a breath of fresh stone-age air. Pre-order on Amazon now.
21. Look – 1 April: Artie is a droid programmed to endlessly perform a single task left in a world abandoned by humans. He is starting to wonder what meaning his task has. But when he and his only friend, Owen, a robotic bird, cast aside the only lives they’ve ever known in search of a brighter future, they encounter others that want nothing but to hold tight to the past. Join Artie the Robot and Owen the Vulture for a light-hearted, sci-fi adventure as they journey far and wide for the answer to one of life’s greatest questions: “Why are we here?” For falls of Wall-E who are after something similar. Pre-order on Amazon now.
22. Quarantine Zone – 4 April: New York Times best-selling author Daniel H. Wilson delivers a thrilling sci-fi series that raises hard questions about free will and the nature of good and evil. It’s rare that DC Comics release an original graphic novel so we can hope this is a high quality sci-fi comic. Pre-order on Amazon now.
23. Black Hammer Vol. 1 – 11 April: Once they were heroes, but the age of heroes has long since passed. Banished from existence by a multiversal crisis, the old champions of Spiral City–Abraham Slam, Golden Gail, Colonel Weird, Madame Dragonfly, and Barbalien–now lead simple lives in an idyllic, timeless farming village from which there is no escape! But as they employ all of their super abilities to free themselves from this strange purgatory, a mysterious stranger works to bring them back into action for one last adventure! The first chapter in Jeff Lemire and Dean Ormston’s acclaimed series! Pre-order on Amazon now.
24. The Complete Phonogram – 18 April: For the first time the complete Phonogram story is collected in a gorgeous hardcover, the first critically beloved work from the creators of The Wicked + the Divine. Includes RUE BRITANNIA, THE SINGLES CLUB and THE IMMATERIAL GIRL, with RUE BRITANNIA coloured for the first time. The world where Music Is Magic has never looked better. Pre-order on Amazon now.
25. X-Men Legacy: Legion Omnibus – 18 April: The Legion show on FX will air on 8 February 2017. If you want more stories about Legion or an idea where the show could head then check out this omnibus hardcover collection which collects 24 issues of the X-Men Legacy comic. Pre-order on Amazon now.
Join us tomorrow for Part 2 where we look at the next set of the best 25 comics that will be out in 2017!